Palm reader

The Common Palmfly (Elymnias hypermnestra

If you have the slightest interest in butterflies, the Common Palmfly is someone you definitely have noticed in a home garden, especially if it has palm trees.

This particular specimen was captured around 6.30 in the morning in a rather gloomy morning, reflecting on a leaf of a sealing wax (an ornamental palm) tree right next to the front door. It didn’t appear bothered about being inspected at close quarters. Later in the day when the Sun made an appearance, it was noted to fly in the palm fronds chasing around another butterfly of a different species.

I wonder if this one has territorial instincts…?

I found a nice account of it's life cycle in butterflycircle.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Gorgeous butterfly SM! And I think I've seen this one among others and even mistook it to the chocolate soldier that I snapped sometime back. But from the link you provided I noticed the subtle differences so now I can tell them apart.. I think. :D

    BTW just wanna make a suggestion, when you're adding external links, do make sure they open up in new pages, cause otherwise it opens on the same page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice capture SM!

    Next time, try to get the focus on the face/eye of the butterfly. When it comes to live subjects it always add more to the snap.

    Btw, you always can press control(Ctr) and then click on the link to open it in the new window :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments both of you !

    @Harshi; I glad that my post helped you to identify at least one butterfly. I think Anjana answered your other question.

    @Anjana; yes I think it would have brought more life out of the picture. Next time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts